Every teacher, regardless of their role or setting, should have the opportunity to develop their own leadership capability.
The Leadership Strategy | Rautaki Kaihautū supports the growth and development of leadership capability for all registered teachers across English and Māori medium settings, in positional and non-positional roles.
The Strategy | Rautaki Kaihautū aims to make leadership development accessible to everyone.
It also provides an opportunity for New Zealand to be world-leading in its approach to leadership in education:
- It belongs to the profession
- It is relevant to every teacher across English and Māori medium settings - in both positional and non-positional roles
- It is steeped in international and New Zealand leadership research
- It sets out a guiding framework for teachers to develop their own leadership capability - making leadership development accessible to everyone
- It is unique to Aotearoa New Zealand - recognising Te Tiriti o Waitangi, as well as the cultural distinctiveness of leadership in Māori medium and bilingual settings
- It provides a system-level approach to growing and developing leadership in education.
In this section
The Capability Framework provides teachers with a practical tool to identify, grow and develop their leadership capability.