Hapori Matatū | Online Community
In our online portal teachers can apply online for registration and certification, endorse applications, create and join discussions and connect with peers across Aotearoa.
What is Hapori Matatū?
Hapori Matatū is an online portal for the teaching profession.
- Apply for and renew practising certificates online
- Track the status of your online applications in real-time
- Make payments online using credit card or internet banking (via POLi)
- Submit self-reporting and complaint forms about conduct and competence issues
- Manage and update your profile details
- Create and join online groups to share resources and research and have discussions with other teachers and professional leaders
- View, download or print your current or newly approved practising certificate in a variety of sizes (A4 – wallet-sized).
Professional leaders can:
- Endorse teacher practising certificate applications (you can also delegate endorsement responsibility to senior staff in your setting)
- Submit mandatory reports
- Start and join groups and discussions.
We recommend Google Chrome for the best experience using Hapori Matatū.
How to get an ESL and log in to Hapori Matatū
The quick-access log in button is located at the right-hand corner in the top navigation bar on this website.
You will need to use your Education Sector Logon (ESL) to create an account in Hapori Matatū.
If you need to apply for an ESL account please refer to your current working arrangement:
You will need create an Education Sector Logon (ESL). To create an ESL account please use the Ministry of Education’s self-registration process.
If you are a registered teacher working in an early childhood education sector please fill in the ESL38 form on the Ministry of Education website.
Please see your school/kura ESL Delegated Authoriser who will help you apply for an ESL account.
If you are not currently teaching at a school/kura/centre, ITE provider or other approved setting or are a day-to-day reliever teacher you can contact the Teaching Council Customer Support Team on (04) 471 0852 to gain access to Hapori Matatū.
If you are applying to be a LAT holder, please use our smart form.
We are working towards moving this application process online to Hapori Matatū soon.
If you are a registered teacher working in tertiary education, please fill in the ESL02 form on the Ministry of Education website.
If you are a teacher or a professional leader and you need access to both Hapori Matatū and the ITE portal, you will need to apply for and use separate ESL accounts.
Important information for using Hapori Matatū
- All applications will reflect the 2019 teacher registration policy.
- We no longer accept cheques; payment for registration and practising certificates must be by internet banking (POLi) or credit card.
- Payment is requested when you submit your application for a practising certificate.
- Late fees will be charged at point of payment.
- There is a greater emphasis on endorsements from professional leaders for granting and renewing practising certificates to reflect our high-trust model.
- If your endorser is not a registered teacher, they can use one of these downloadable endorsement forms.
For professional leaders
- When applying for your own practising certificate in Hapori Matatū you will be prompted to download a form for your employer to complete. You will be asked to upload this completed form to Hapori Matatū.
- Schools, kura, centres, ITE provider and other approved settings will no longer be able to send in bulk payments on behalf of teachers, as teachers will need to pay for their own individual practising certificate at the time their application is submitted.