The Teaching Council is committed to openness and accountability. The Council proactively releases information to assist the profession and public to understand decisions and the decision-making process.
Some information may be withheld in line with the withholding grounds under the Official Information Act 1982. These may include:
- Section 9(2)(a) to protect the privacy of natural persons
- Section 9(2)(ba)(i) to protect information which is subject to an obligation of confidence where making the information available would likely damage the public interest
- Section 9(2)(g)(i) to maintain the effective conduct of public affairs through the free and frank expression of opinion
- Section 9(2)(g)(i) to protect the confidentiality of advice tendered by Ministers of the Crown and officials
- Section 9(2)(h) to maintain legal professional privilege
In preparing the information for release, the Teaching Council has considered the public interest considerations in section 9(1) of the Official Information Act.