When to renew

You may apply to renew your practising certificate up to three months before its expiry date. Applications submitted earlier than three months before expiry will not be processed as approval is based on your most recent teaching information.  

Practising certificates are renewed for three years. The fee and levy for renewing a practising certificate is $464.37.

Back to top

Requirements for renewing a practising certificate

The law requires the Council to be satisfied teachers have met certain requirements before renewing a practising certificate. This applies to all types of certificate renewal. 



You are a New Zealand registered teacher

Teacher registration number - your registration number was provided when your registration was approved. The number can be found on the Register of New Zealand Registered Teachers on the Council’s website. We will auto-populate your practising certificate application with your registration number. 

You have completed at least two years of uninterrupted teaching in the last five years. OR

An endorsement from your professional leader that you meet the Standards | Ngā Paerewa as required for your practising certificate type


A list of your teaching positions in the last five years. 

You have completed a teacher refresh process

Evidence of completion of your practice plan or Teacher Education Refresh programme

You have completed satisfactory professional development in the past three years 

An endorsement from your professional leader, that you have completed satisfactory professional development in the past three years.

This can include your participation in your setting's agreed professional growth cycle.

You are committed to the expectations in the Code | Ngā Tikanga Matatika 

A declaration that you are committed to the values and expectations in the Code Ngā Tikanga Matatika 


A declaration about any matters for which you are under investigation, that might impact your teaching or ability to meet the requirements of the Code | Ngā Tikanga Matatika. 

You have a satisfactory NZ police vet 

Your consent for the Council to apply to New Zealand Police for your police vet;  


Confirmation of the types of current, verified identity documents that you provided to your identity referee. 

You are physically and mentally able to carry out a teaching role safely and satisfactorily  

A declaration that you do not have a condition that would affect your ability to teach safely and satisfactorily.  

If required: Any additional evidence, such as a medical certificate, to support your ability to teach. 

You have continued to develop and practice te reo me ngā tikanga Māori 

A declaration that you have continued to develop and practise te reo me ngā tikanga Māori while practising as a teacher;  


An endorsement by your professional leader, that you have shown progress in te reo me ngā tikanga Māori as required by the Standards | Ngā Paerewa

Back to top

What happens if your practising certificate expires

If your practising certificate expires while the Council is processing it, you can continue to teach lawfully for up to 10 days (20 half days) in a year. If your application hasn't been processed beyond this, your professional leader can apply for an 'extension to teach' on your behalf.

If you apply after your practising certificate has expired, a late fee charge of $50 will be charged in addition to the practising certificate fee and levy if:

  • Your renewal application form is submitted after your practising certificate has already expired; or
  • You don’t have a practising certificate or Limited Authority to Teach (LAT), and you are currently employed in a teaching position in New Zealand that requires one.


Back to top

What happens if you can't meet the requirements

If you don't currently meet the requirements for your practising certificate type there are several options available for you to continue teaching:

  • If you have completed less than two years of uninterrupted teaching in the last five years, we will consider a range of other factors to determine whether you can deliver safe, high-quality teaching. You may be required to complete a teacher refresh process.
  • If you have not completed any teaching in the previous five years, you will need to undertake a teacher refresh process. 
  • If your professional leader is not able to endorse you as meeting the Standards| Ngā Paerewa because of your role type, but considers you are likely to meet them, we may issue you with a Pūmau | Full (Category Two). The Council may contact you to discuss this change.

Back to top

Tips for renewing

  • All documents you provide need to be in English or te reo Māori. 
  • A certified document is a copy of your original document, which must be current, that has been verified by an official using an official stamp or seal. Officials include:  
    • School principal or centre manager 
    • Solicitor, Justice of the Peace or notary public 
    • Court registrar 
    • The authority who originally issued the document 
  • The person certifying your documents must note on every page the following: “certified true copy of the original”, and clearly identify and include on the document: 
    • full name of official 
    • signature, title, address and contact number of the official 
    • official stamp or seal 
    • date the documents were certified.  
  • Make sure you have all your documents and information ready. 
  • Notify your endorser that you are applying.

Back to top