When to apply for full certification

Important update: Practising certificates issued before February 1, 2021 are valid for three years. Practising certificates issued from February 1, 2021 are valid for one year and a new fee structure applies.

There are two types of full practising certificate. 

1. Tūturu | Full Practising Certificate (Category One) is for experienced teachers; those who have been and continue to be endorsed as meeting all the Standards for the Teaching Profession | Ngā Paerewa. Fee for your first Tūturu | Full Practising Certificate (Category One): $302.57.

You are ready to move to Tūturu | Full (Category One) if you: 

  • have talked with your mentor and professional leader about whether you are ready
  • have successfully completed your induction and mentoring programme
  • provide multiple opportunities to demonstrate and meet the Standards | Ngā Paerewa 
  • are 0.5 full time teacher equivalent (FTTE) or more 
  • are able to fulfil the requirements in the table below. 

Once you have been issued with a Tūturu | Full you will never be required to return to Tōmua | Provisional.

2. Pūmau | Full Practising Certificate (Category Two) is for experienced teachers who are not currently able to be endorsed as meeting all the Standards | Ngā Paerewa because of their teaching role type (part-time, casual, relieving) but who would be likely to meet. Fee for Pūmau | Full Practising Certificate (Category Two): $220.80.  

Back to top

Requirements for moving to Tūturu |  Full (Category One) or Pūmau | Full (Category Two)



For Tuturū (Category One): You meet the Standards | Ngā Paerewa 








To move from Tōmua | Provisional to Tūturu | Full (Category One): An endorsement from your professional leader that you have successfully completed a one or two year induction and mentoring programme, which has been supervised by a mentor who is fully certificated (Tūturu), and that you have been endorsed as meeting the Standards | Ngā Paerewa
To move from Pūmau | Full (Category Two) to Tūturu | Full (Category Two): An endorsement from your professional leader that you have successfully completed the one year of mentoring required to move to Tūturu from Pūmau, and that you have been endorsed as meeting the Standards | Ngā Paerewa 

For Pūmau (Category Two): You cannot be endorsed as meeting all the Standards | Ngā Paerewa but you are considered by your professional leader as likely to meet 

An endorsement from your most recent professional leader that you are likely to meet the Standards | Ngā Paerewa and are recommended for Pūmau. 

You are committed to the expectations in the Code | Ngā Tikanga Matatika 

A declaration that you are committed to the values and expectations in the Code | Ngā Tikanga Matatika;  


A declaration about any matters for which you are under investigation, that might impact your teaching or ability to meet the requirements of the Code | Ngā Tikanga Matatika

You have a satisfactory NZ police vet  



Your consent for the Council to apply to New Zealand Police for your police vet;  


Confirmation of the types of verified identity documents that you provided to your identity referee. 

Where applicable you have a satisfactory overseas police vet

Police vets that you have obtained from the national police service of the issuing country, for any country that you have lived in for 12 months or more, in the 10 years before you made your application to the Council;  


A statutory declaration if you are unable to obtain a police vet. 

You are physically and mentally able to carry out a teaching role safely and satisfactorily  

A declaration that you do not have a condition that would affect your ability to teach safely and satisfactorily.  

If required: Any additional evidence, such as a medical certificate, to support your ability to teach. 

You have continued to develop and practice te reo me ngā tikanga Māori 

A declaration that you have continued to develop and practise te reo me ngā tikanga Māori while practising as a teacher;  


An endorsement by your professional leader, that you have shown progress in te reo me ngā tikanga Māori as required by the Standards | Ngā Paerewa   

Back to top

Tips for applying

  • If you hold Tōmua | Provisional, please have a conversation with your mentor and professional leader about whether you are ready for Tūturu before you apply.
  • All documents you provide need to be in English or te reo Māori. 
  • A certified document is a copy of your original document, which must be current, that has been verified by an official using an official stamp or seal. Officials include:  
    • School principal or centre manager 
    • Solicitor, Justice of the Peace or notary public 
    • Court registrar 
    • The authority who originally issued the document 
  • The person certifying your documents must note on every page the following: “certified true copy of the original”, and clearly identify and include on the document: 
    • full name of official 
    • signature, title, address and contact number of the official 
    • official stamp or seal 
    • date the documents were certified.  
  • Make sure you have all your documents and information ready. 
  • Keep track of your application in real-time on Hapori Matatū.
  • Have questions? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Back to top