What is the Council's role?

A Royal Commission of Inquiry is looking into what happened to children, young people and vulnerable adults in State and faith-based care in Aoteoroa New Zealand between the years 1950-99, although they are not limited to that timeframe. As part of this inquiry, allegations may be made against teachers. 

The Teaching Council has the authority to investigate current and former registered teachers and people who are (or were) authorised to teach. Current registered teachers can be found on the Register of New Zealand Registered Teachers. Current individuals with an authority to teach can be found on the Limited Authority to Teach list. 

If your complaint is against a former registered teacher or former authority holder they will not appear on the public registers. You are still able to make a complaint against these former registered teachers or authority holders using the contact information below. 

Back to top

How do I make a complaint?

Submit a complaint using our complaint form.

A phone number has been set up specifically to respond to historic allegations. The number is 0800 002 458.

For employers

If you become aware of a historic abuse allegation about a teacher still employed at your school, or that has left the school in the last 12 months, you must consider your mandatory reporting requirements. Any employer who is made aware of an allegation of historic abuse where the teacher has not been employed at the school for a period longer than 12 months should inform the Teaching Council via the complaint form or phone number listed above. Please ensure the Police are informed in the first instance if the allegation has any criminal element.

Back to top  

What will we do when we receive an allegation?

If the allegation relates to a currently registered teacher or authority holder, then our normal process will be followed, where the allegations will be considered by a Triage Committee who will decide whether or not to investigate. 

If the decision is made to investigate then the Triage Committee will refer all or part of the allegations for investigation in line with the Council’s usual process.

As part of this investigation process, your name and the allegations that you have made will need to be provided to the teacher. You may also be encouraged to speak to the Police and/or the Ministry of Education. During the investigation process the teacher’s employer may be informed of the allegations that have been made. 

If the allegation relates to a former registered teacher or authority holder then the allegations will be considered by the Triage Committee who will decide the most appropriate outcome. Part of this initial assessment will focus on whether there is a potential safety risk to children or young people in early childhood, primary, secondary and senior secondary schooling. 

If the Triage Committee decide not to investigate, then the allegation will be recorded on our secure case management system. This ensures, should the individual decide to apply for registration in the future, there is a record of the allegations. This does not prevent the individual from re-applying but will be considered as part of the re-registration process.

The Teaching Council will also, ideally with your consent, refer the allegations to an appropriate investigative agency. This could include the Police, Oranga Tamariki or the Ministry of Education. 

Back to top

What if I want compensation or recognition for what happened?

The Ministry of Education run a ‘historic claims’ process to respond to allegations which occurred prior to 1989.  For more recent claims they may refer your claim to the school where the alleged incident occurred, if still in operation. 

The Ministry of Social Development run a ‘historic claims’ process to respond to allegations made while in the care of the state. 

Back to top 

Where can I get support?

The Royal Commission website refers to these providers for people engaging in their inquiry:

Back to top