Becoming a teacher
Teaching is a rewarding profession where your work will make a real difference. If you're thinking about becoming a teacher you can find some guidance on this page.
Teacher student updates
To support you in your professional development journey we would like to invite you to sign up for our brand-new Teaching Council bulletin, written especially for you, our newest members of the profession!
We are calling it ‘Kukari’. We selected the name Kukari, or fledgeling, because as Kukari you are taking your first steps towards the edge of the nest, ready to step off into the air for the first time. You do so with the knowledge and guidance from those who can already fly.
Studying to be a teacher
Approved Initial Teacher Education (ITE) programmes of study will lead you towards a teaching qualification. With a teaching qualification you can teach in New Zealand early childhood education centres, schools (primary, intermediate and secondary) or kura (Māori medium or immersion).
Your ITE programme will fully prepare you for your teaching career with a mix of curriculum, learning and pedagogical theory, professional studies, practicum experiences and cultural studies.
The TeachNZ website has a search tool to help you choose an approved programme that suits you.You can also:
- find entry requirements to train as a teacher
- find Māori and Pacific teaching options
- use their search tool to help choose a programme that suits you
- explore financial support and scholarship opportunities.
Make sure you are studying an approved programme that is recognised by the Teaching Council for registration purposes. When you complete your ITE qualification you can apply to the Teaching Council for registration and a practising certificate.
Finding a teaching job
Schools and early childhood services are responsible for employing their own staff. There is no central staffing agency and no government department responsible for teaching staff placement.
Teaching positions are advertised in a range of ways including:
- Education Gazette Online - Ministry of Education's main source of teaching jobs
- job websites such as Seek and Trade Me
- Auckland-based Oasis Education website
- Education Personnel
- Ranstad Education - national supplier of teachers across New Zealand for full-time, contract, fixed term and day to day relief