Moving to teach in New Zealand
Keen to teach in New Zealand? It's a big move, read this page before you apply.
Before you apply
In New Zealand teachers hold a trusted position in society. Together as a profession they have high standards of integrity, conduct, competence and effective teaching practice. There are several steps involved with joining the 105,000 strong profession.
For information about moving to New Zealand, including immigration and visa information, please visit the Teach in New Zealand website.
If you are registered in Australia, you may be eligible for a New Zealand practising certificate under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act.
Please read Our Code, Our Standards | Ngā Tikanga Matatika, Ngā Paerewa - these documents set out the expectations for teacher behaviour and effective teacher practice.
What you need to apply
To practice as a teacher in New Zealand you need to be registered and hold a current practising certificate.
To gain registration and certification as an overseas-trained teacher you will need to fill out an application form and attach certain supporting documents. You must:
- Show you are satisfactorily trained to teach
- Demonstrate English language competency
- Obtain overseas Police clearance
- Verify your identity: Proof of Identity form (there are two forms one for if you are currently residing overseas and one if you are living in New Zealand)
- Gather further supporting information for your application:
- Copies of qualifications, transcripts, NZQA assessment (if applicable)
- Testimonial letters (from previous employers regarding your teaching
- Assessment of your teaching practice (including observation or annual appraisal)
- Any evidence of induction and mentoring you have completed during your teaching career
- Statements/certificate of professional standing (this includes evidence of Qualified Teacher Status awarded in the United Kingdom
- A copy of your CV
- Apply for teacher registration and a practising certificate, submitting the above information and more. You can apply for these at the same time.
Important! If you have received an employment offer to teach at a New Zealand school, kura or early childhood centre, please let us know. Our priority is to have teachers able to teach when they have a definite job offer.
Please keep in mind that it can take between six to 12 weeks to process an application depending on its complexity.