Why do I have to supply “certified copies” of my documents? 

A certified copy is a photocopy that has been stamped or endorsed by a person who confirms that the copy is a true copy of the original document. 

Back to top

How do I get my documents certified? 

A certified document is a copy of your original document, which must be current, that has been verified by an official using an official stamp or seal. Officials include:  

  • School principal or centre manager 
  • Solicitor, Justice of the Peace or notary public 
  • Court registrar 
  • The authority who originally issued the document 

The person certifying your documents must note on every page the following: “certified true copy of the original”, and clearly identify and include on the document: 

  • Full name of official 
  • Signature, title, address and contact number of the official 
  • Official stamp or seal 
  • Date the documents were certified

Back to top

When do I need an overseas police clearance? 

You need a police clearance certificate from the country you lived in if you’ve lived outside New Zealand for 12 months or more within the last ten years.  The clearance must cover the length of your stay in the country. You don't need to provide a new clearance with your future applications, unless you again live outside NZ for 12 months or more. 

Back to top

How do I apply for an overseas police clearance? 

Details on how to apply for police clearances from most countries are available.

Back to top

My overseas police clearance isn’t in English. Does it need be translated? 

Yes, you must provide translations if your documents are not in English or Māori.  The translation must be word for word and certified as correct by an official New Zealand and overseas translation service. 

Back to top

I am an Australian teacher, how can I become a teacher in New Zealand?

The Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act (TTMRA) allows teachers to gain equivalent professional recognition and be employed as teachers across New Zealand and most of the states and territories in Australia.  

You can apply for registration and a practising certificate in New Zealand under the TTMRA if you hold current registration in one of the states or territories recognised under the Act. 

In Australia, teachers don't hold a practising certificate in addition to registration. In New Zealand, you must hold registration and a current practising certificate to be lawfully employed in schools, kura, kindergartens and most teaching positions in early childhood settings. If your application is approved, you will be granted registration and a practising certificate. 

Back to top