Teacher Education Refresh
TER programmes bring teachers up to date with their knowledge and experience of current educational practices.
TER programmes are flexible and vary in length, starting from twelve weeks, are mainly completed online and delivered by four Council-approved providers around the country.
Enrolment fees are currently free for teachers who are required to complete the TER programme to renew their practising certificate, paid for by the Government as part of the 2018 Budget.
University of Auckland
Sector: Primary and Secondary
Course and Conference Administrator
09 623 8977
Visit the website for more information
Open Polytechnic of New Zealand
Sector: Early Childhood, Primary and Secondary
Te Rito Maioha - Early Childhood New Zealand
Sector: Early Childhood Education
Institute of Registered Music Teachers NZ
Sector: ECE, Primary and Secondary (music teachers only)
Requesting a review of the requirement to complete a TER programme
A TER review request must demonstrate and provide evidence that your professional knowledge and practice is up to date and you have made significant progress toward meeting the Standards for the Teaching Profession | Ngā Paerewa.
The Council’s TER panel is made up of experienced professional leaders and principals from the ECE, primary and secondary sectors who consider applications from teachers in their sector. The panel considers all elements of your application for exemption including:
- The length of time since you last taught in the NZ general education system
- The nature and period of any teaching outside the NZ general education system (including the equivalent of satisfactory recent teaching experience overseas)
- Professional development relevant to the TER curriculum
- Professional leader testimony
- Induction and mentoring progress
- Self-identification of the professional learning you believe you need.
The panel makes recommendations to the Chief Executive of the Council who makes the final decision.
Please contact the TER Coordinator at TER@teachingcouncil.nz if you require further information about a TER review.