Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Proof of Identity requirements

Identity checks are required for people working with children under the Children’s Act (formerly the Vulnerable Children’s Act) and roviding proof of identity helps prevent identity fraud. It is also required by the New Zealand Police before we can submit a request for your police vet.

Identity referees must sight and verify the proof of identity of a teacher applying for a registration, a practising certificate or limited authority to teach. If you have previously verified your identity with the Teaching Council since 1 July 2015, you’ll not need to complete the proof of identity section again, unless there is a change in your name.

Any of the following people can be an identity referee: 

  • a school principal
  • an ECE centre manager
  • the head of an ITE programme.

Your identity referee does not have to be your employer.

If you’re currently outside New Zealand and completing the proof of identity section, you’ll need to have your identity verified by an approved overseas identity referee in the country you’re in. You’ll need to complete a Proof of Identity Overseas (POI-OS) for those currently residing overseas.

Valid documents for verifying identity

You must show your identity referee one document from category A and one from category B. One document must be a form of photo ID and documents must be valid.

Category A: Primary identification document/record

  • New Zealand Passport
  • New Zealand Certificate of Identity issued under the Passports Act 1992 to Non-New Zealand citizens who cannot obtain a passport from their country of origin.
  • New Zealand Certificate of Identity (issued to people who have refugee status) 
  • New Zealand Refugee Travel Document 
  • Emergency Travel Document
  • New Zealand Firearm Licence 
  • Overseas Passport (with or without New Zealand Immigration visa/permit)
  • New Zealand Full Birth Certificate issued on or after 1998 
  • New Zealand Citizenship Certificate 

Category B: Secondary identification document/record 

  • New Zealand Driver Licence 
  • Kiwi Access Card (previously known as 18+ Card)
  • Community Services Card 
  • Super Gold Card
  • Veteran Super Gold Card 
  • Inland Revenue Number
  • Electoral Roll Records
  • New Zealand utility bill, issued not more than six months earlier

To verify identity, the referee must:

  • Be shown the applicant's documents by the applicant themselves
  • Check there’s one document from category A and one from category B
  • Check the documents are valid (not expired)
  • Check one of the documents is a form of photo ID
  • Check that the document numbers in the proof of identity section (either on the hardcopy form provided or online), match those on the documents
  • Provide their details and the details of their learning centre and registration number (where applicable).
  • If completing the hardcopy form, the identity referee must provide their signature, date and the official stamp of the school, centre or programme.

The Council needs to be assured that the Identity Referee is the person that they say they are and allows the Council to efficiently consider the proof of identity form.

What information should a stamp include?

  • Name of the centre
  • Address of the centre

The following information is not required, but is useful to have on your stamp:

  • MOE number
  • Phone number
  • Principal or Centre Manager name

Some schools and centres may have a Common Seal. A Common Seal is generally used on legal documents and contracts, has an official legal status and can be used on the Proof of Identity form.

Any questions? Please email our contact centre

Evidence of name change or other changes to identity information

If the name on your identity documents or qualifications is different from your official name, please present your identity referee with a name change document from Category C in the table below.  You must attach a certified copy of your official name change document to the application.

Category C: Primary identification document/record

  • Change of Name by Statutory Declaration
  • Change of Name by Deed Poll
  • New Zealand Change of Name Certificate
  • New Zealand Marriage Certificate (not Particulars of Marriage)*
  • New Zealand Civil Union Certificate
  • New Zealand Birth Certificate issued on or after 1998
  • New Zealand Divorce Papers
  • Certificate of Annulment
  • Overseas Passport
  • Overseas Birth Certificate or Overseas Marriage Certificate

*Please note - If your name has changed as you were married in New Zealand, the Council will need details of your New Zealand Marriage Certificate. Please note that this is different to the Copy of Particulars of Marriage that a couple signs on their wedding day. A New Zealand Marriage Certificate can be ordered from Births, Deaths and Marriages at the Department of Internal Affairs.

Certified copies

The document(s) you provided must be certified by an official such as a School Principal, a Teaching Council approved identity referee, a Centre Manager, a Justice of the Peace, a Solicitor, a Notary Public, a Registrar, or the authority who originally issued the document.

The person certifying your document(s) must:

  • note on every page the words “certified true copy of the original”; and
  • clearly identify and include on the document their:
    • full name
    • title
    • signature
    • address and contact number
    • official stamp or seal
    • certification date.

Identity Verification form if you are currently residing overseas

This form should only be completed if you’re living overseas (i.e. you’re outside of New Zealand) at the time of completing your application and included with your application.

Please see our Proof of Identity Overseas (POI-OS) form for those currently residing overseas, found on our Application forms page.

Consent for disclosure for a police vet check

Applicant  need to complete a consent for the disclosure for a police vet check. By signing the declaration, you acknowledge and understand the following:

  1. The information that NZ Police may consider relevant to an application and release in vetting comprises any conviction history and, for certain agencies, infringement/demit reports; and it may include any other information, such as active charges and warrants to arrest, any information received or obtained by NZ Police, and any interaction a person has had with NZ Police in any context (including family violence), even where a person had not been charged, or charges are withdrawn, or a person has  been acquitted (not guilty) of a charge, or has been discharged without conviction.
  2.   Any conviction history will be released in accordance with the Criminal Records (Clean Slate) Act 2004; this means that, if a person is  “eligible” for clean slate (e.g. no convictions for seven years, never been to prison, no convictions for specified sexual offending, etc-see section 7of the Act):
    1. criminal record of convictions will not be disclosed; but
    2. if a role for which a person has applied is an exception to the clean slate scheme (e.g., predominately involving care and protection of a child or young person), the criminal record of convictions will be disclosed.
  3. Where a Court suppression order exists in respect of criminal information not subject to the Clean Slate regime, any active criminal charge, or any past non-convicted charge, NZ Police may, if it considers the information to be sufficiently relevant and of concern, disclose in the result:
    1.  to certain approved agencies, such as government agencies, details of the suppressed information with a warning against publication:
    2.  To other approved agencies, the existence of the suppressed information without offence details.
  4.  Where NZ Police hold relevant information that it is unwilling to disclose to the approved agency for privacy, confidentiality or law enforcement reasons, NZ Police may recommend against unsupervised access to children or vulnerable persons (this is known as a “red stamp”).
  5. The personal information provided in this form is being collected for vetting purposes and may be used for the purpose of updating NZ Police records.
  6. A person may withdraw this consent, prior to the Police’s disclosure of the vetting results, by notifying the approved agency who will immediately notify NZ Police to cease the vetting process.
  7. A person is  entitled to access the vetting result to the approved agency and seek correction of Police information about me in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993 by making a request to the approved agency in the first instance.
  8. No later than 12 months after the release of the vetting result, the approved agency will securely dispose of this consent form and copies of identification documents, as well as the vetting result released by NZ Police, in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993 or any other enactment, unless a longer retention period is required under legislation.
  9. The information provided in this form relates to the applicant and is correct.

For further information on police vetting click here or to see our FAQs here.