Teacher Registration, Practising Certificates and Limited Authority to Teach Policy
The new policy Teacher Registration, Practising Certificates and Limited Authority to Teach has been implemented with Hapori Matatū | Online Community. All applications using our new smart forms or Hapori Matatū will now be processed using this new policy.
The new policy was developed in consultation with the teaching profession and key stakeholders, following a review of the interim policy in 2017. You can read the full story on this page.
When we consulted with the sector the clear message was that a new policy should:
- Be easy to understand and follow
- Enable a fast turnaround for straightforward applications
- Maintain a high bar for entry into the profession with ongoing professional learning and development
- Promote our commitment to Our Code, Our Standards, in particular te reo me ngā tikanga Māori
- Be flexible so we can get quality teachers in front of learners when we need them
- Reflect the high trust we have with our teachers and professional leaders
We believe the new policy supports quality teaching, learning and leadership and links to the Code and Standards. It recognises the expertise of professional leaders to be responsible when making judgements about individual teachers, while at the same time preserves the reputation of the profession and has a focus on building capability.
The previous Interim Teacher Registration, Practising Certificates and Limited Authority to Teach can be read here.