Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Requirements for practising certificates

To be issued with a practising certificate the following requirements apply:

New Zealand Police vets

The Education Act 1989 requires the Teaching Council to obtain a police vet prior to registering and granting a practising certificate or Limited Authority to Teach. The Teaching Council requests information directly from the New Zealand Police Vetting and Validation Service when a person applies, and the appropriate permissions have been granted in addition to the proof of identity requirements being met. See proof of identity requirements.

Overseas Police vets

If you have lived for a period of 12 months or more in any country other than New Zealand within the last 10 years (over the age of 16), you must get a police vet (also known as a police clearance or police certificate) from that country, which covers the entire period of time you lived there. How to get an overseas police vet.

Satisfactory recent teaching experience

To renew a practising certificate, teachers are required to have completed at least two years of uninterrupted teaching in New Zealand in the last five years and be endorsed by their professional leader. The Council has the discretion to accept periods of teaching less than two years and teachers with Pūmau can be endorsed Tūturu with one year of induction and mentoring.

Satisfactory professional development

You have completed satisfactory professional development in the past three years and have an endorsement from your professional leader endorsing this.

You are committed to the expectations in the Code of Professional Responsibility (Code)

A declaration that you are committed to the values and expectations in the Code; and regarding any matters for which you are under investigation, that might impact your teaching or ability to meet the requirements of the Code.

You are physically and mentally able to carry out a teaching role safely and satisfactorily

Evidence that is required is a declaration that you do not have a condition that would affect your ability to teach safety and satisfactorily. You may also be required to provide other additional evidence, such as a medical certificate, to support your ability to teach if required.

You have continued to develop and practise te reo me ngā tikanga Māori (Māori language and protocols)

Evidence required is a declaration that you have continued to develop and practise te reo me ngā tikanga Māori while practising as a teacher and

an endorsement by your professional leader, that you have shown progress in your te reo me ngā tikanga Māori as required by the Standards | Ngā Paerewa.

Other requirements

If you have not completed any teaching in New Zealand in the previous five years, you may be eligible for a Returning to Teaching in Aotearoa New Zealand Practising Certificate. You will also be required to undertake a Teacher Education Refresh or complete a Return to Practice Plan.

Your professional leader is required to endorse the extent to which you meet the Standards | Ngā Paerewa. If you hold Tūturu | Full (Category One) and you have been endorsed as meeting all the Standards | Ngā Paerewa as well as meeting all the other requirements listed below, it is likely your Tūturu practising certificate will be renewed.

If your professional leader considers that you do not meet all the Standards | Ngā Paerewa because of your role type but that you’re likely to meet the Standards | Ngā Paerewa, we may issue you with a Pūmau | Full (Category Two). We may renew your Pūmau if you have continued to be employed in a role not comprehensive enough for you to be endorsed as meeting all the Standards | Ngā Paerewa and you are considered likely to meet the Standards | Ngā Paerewa.

If you are a Tōmua | Provisional holder who has not yet met the requirements for a Tūturu practising certificate, but you have completed some teaching, we may consider renewing your Tōmua. The Council can require you to undertake a TER or RTTP.

If you last held one of the former practising certificates (Full or STC) you may be required to complete a RTPP to identify your knowledge gaps and intended professional development, or to complete a TER programme where it has been a considerable length of time since you last taught in New Zealand.

For information about the different types of practising certificates and how to apply for registration and/ or a practising certificate. See Apply for registration and/or certification.

Renewal of practising certificates where a matter is under investigation

Practising certificates will be renewed for applicants who meet all criteria except they have a current complaint or mandatory report in the system and may not have their application endorsed by their professional leader. This change is necessary to ensure the disciplinary bodies and the Competence Authority have access to the full range of powers available to address conduct and competence issues.

The change relates to applications in this specific circumstance only and we will advise principals and centre leaders affected by individual applications that are approved. The renewal of a practising certificate is not an indication of the outcome of the investigation of the complaint or mandatory report.