Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Renewing provisional and subject to confirmation practising certificates

Your practising certificate may have expired if you have spent time away from teaching. To find out if you are currently certificated, check the online register.

Teachers with provisional certification should renew their practising certificate using the EC80 form.

Teachers with certification subject to confirmation should renew their practising certificate using the EC90 form.

Check out the step by step guide to renewing a practising certificate.

Changes to renewal of practising certificates

The Education Council is implementing a change, effective 1 July 2017, to the way applications for renewal of practising certificates are processed for those few teachers who are subject to an unresolved mandatory report or complaint. Some parts of the interim policy will no longer apply.

Practising certificates will be renewed for applicants who meet all criteria except they have a current complaint or mandatory report in the system and may not have their application endorsed by their professional leader. This change is necessary to ensure the disciplinary bodies and the Competence Authority have access to the full range of powers available to address conduct and competence issues.

The change relates to applications in this specific circumstance only and we will advise principals and centre leaders affected by individual applications that are approved.

The renewal of a practising certificate is not an indication of the outcome of the investigation of the complaint or mandatory report.  

Police clearance

New Zealand police clearances

The Education Act 1989 requires the Education Council to obtain a police vet prior to registering and granting a practising certificate or Limited Authority to Teach. On completion of  all application forms, the Education Council requests information directly from the New Zealand Police Vetting and Validation Service.

Overseas police clearances

If you have lived for a period of 12 months or more in any country other than New Zealand within the last 10 years, you must get a national police clearance certificate from that country, which covers the entire period of time you lived there.

How to get an overseas police clearance